Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Nelson to Kaikoura


Day 39 (24.2.2013): Nelson to Kaikoura

After a late start from Nelson this morning (had to buy my postcards ;). Also, Dougal, one of the locals we met yesterday, stopped by to chat and gave us one of his Billy steam boats (the smallest jet boat) :)

We – yeah, Lin hopped on to get a lift over the big hills outside Nelson :) - left Nelson and drove towards Picton. First we stopped at a site where parts of "The Hobbit" were filmed. Beautiful crystal clear water once again. It reminded me on the green river in Valle Versasca in Switzerland. 




We stopped in Havelock which is well known for it’s green mussels (supposedly the best in the country). We had lunch together and yet another fresh-fruit-ice-cream and then we had to say good-bye. Lin is from now on back on her bicycle. I made my way along the Queen Charlotte drive which follows the picturesque Queen Charlotte Sound to Picton.

Queen Charlotte Sound

Queen Charlotte Sound

Queen Charlotte Sound

Picton's Marina towards Queen Charlotte Sound

Picton


After a quick stop in Picton I drove via some rather dry mountain ranges through the Marlborough region. It looks fantastic those lush green vineyards against the dry, brown hills in the background.

Marlborough

Marlborough


I drove via Blendheim further to Kaikoura where I stayed for my second last night in NZ. Kaikoura is known for its crayfish – of course I had to have one (or actually half a crayfish) for dinner ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home